Engineering & Manufacturing
PPD has the unique ability to engineer and manufacture the encapsulation of any type of glass or “glazing”. Systems may range from the complex articulating power sliders or simple non-moving static modules. Our capabilities include but are not limited to:
- Tempered Glass
- Laminated Glass
- Chemically Toughened Glass
- Glass packs with spacers
- Tinted/Solar control Glass
- Hydrophobic/Hydrophilic Glass
- Changeable tint/Smart glass
- Ballistic Glass
- Ultrathin Glass
The glass encapsulation process can be easily defined as: A polymeric material that is injected around a glass (or plastic glazing) insert, as it is suspended in a mold. The encapsulation process can be utilized on any type of glass such as: tempered, laminated, insulated, changeable, coated, and many other types. The benefits of the encapsulation process are numerous and listed below.
- Edge protection, the weakest point in any glass, is the edge itself. The edges are typically encapsulated which will inherently enhance the breakage resistance.
- Variable cross section geometry for complex or simple assemblies.
- Water tight sealing characteristics.
- Inclusion of hardware such as: brackets, barrel nuts, studs, fasteners, wiring terminations, sensors, and decorative trim ornamentation.
- Different surface finishes and colors as well as tactile surfaces to match mating surfaces.
- Close dimensional tolerances can be consistently achieved when compared to post applied hardware assembly applications.